Slimming World’s mulled wine trifle has a generous layer of low-fat custard, heaps of mixed berries and red wine for flavour, making a Christmassy treat
Prep Time 30minutes mins
Cooling Time 2hours hrs
Total Time 2 hours hrs 30 minutes mins
Cuisine: slimming world
Keyword: Slimming World’s mulled wine trifle
- 8 sheets of leaf gelatine
- 11.5 g sachet of sugar-free raspberry jelly crystals
- 1 cm piece root ginger peeled and grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 tsp sweetener
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 400 g mixed berries thawed if frozen
- 400 g low fat custard from a can or carton
- 500 g fat free natural fromage frais
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 level tsp edible gold and silver decorations
- Put the gelatine sheets into a bowl of cold water and leave for 10-12 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, stir the jelly crystals into 400ml of boiling water and set aside.
- Place a saucepan over a low heat and add the ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, cardamom pods, red wine, sweetener and orange zest. Heat until hot but not boiling.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the gelatine sheets and put the sheets into a large bowl.
- Strain the wine mixture through a sieve onto the gelatine sheets then add the jelly mixture, stir well and leave to cool.
- Put the fruit into a large glass serving bowl and pour in enough of the cooled jelly mixture to come about two-thirds of the way up the side, leaving room for the custard and fromage frais (you can use any leftover jelly mixture to make individual jellies). Chill overnight.
- Spoon the custard over the jelly, then whisk together the fromage frais and vanilla and spoon on top. Scatter over the edible decorations to serve.
Start preparing this trifle in advance so you can make sure each layer has time to set properly before serving