PREP TIME:1HOUR HOUR
COOK TIME:4HOURS HOURS 5MINUTES MINUTES
TOTAL TIME:5HOURS HOURS 5MINUTES MINUTES
COURSE:APPETIZER, LUNCH, MAIN COURSE
- ▢5-6 Beef Short Ribs
- ▢1.5 tbsp Kosher Salt
- ▢1.5 tbsp Black Pepper
- ▢1.5 tbsp Garlic Powder
- ▢Canola Oil as needed
- ▢3 ancho chiles stemmed & seeded
- ▢3 guajillo chiles stemmed & seeded
- ▢¼ cup of Chipotle in Adobo
- ▢1/2 white onion sliced
- ▢8-10 garlic cloves
- ▢2 cups of Water
BRAISING + SEASONINGS:
- ▢2-3 cups beef broth
- ▢1.5 tablespoons mexican oregano
- ▢2 tablespoons black pepper
- ▢1 tablespoons sea salt
- ▢2 cinnamon sticks
- ▢2 bay leaves
- ▢3 cups Shredded Jack Cheese
- ▢½ cup red onions chopped
- ▢½ cup cilantro chopped
- ▢Thick Cut Sliced Bread
- Preheat your fire to medium high temperature (around 375F). Add a dutch oven over the fire to preheat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add your ancho chile, guajillo chile and garlic cloves to your dutch oven and let char for 30-45 seconds per side. Once charred, add your water to the skillet and let simmer over the fire for 7-8 minutes. Once simmered, pull the dutch oven off of the heat. Add your chiles & garlic in the water plus your chopped onion and chipotle in adobo to a food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Pour your paste into a bowl.
- Add your short ribs to a bowl with some oil and liberally season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place your cleaned dutch oven over the fire and sear off each side of the beef until browned. Do this in batches if needed. Finally, add all your short ribs to the dutch oven along with the chile paste, beef broth and all of the braising seasonings. Cover the dutch oven and let simmer over medium low heat until the beef is fork tender (about 3.5-4.5 hours). Make sure to skim the top of the sauce of fat as needed.
- Once the beef is tender, pull it off, dispose of the bones, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Strain your braising sauce from the meat until it is a clean consomme. Add the consomme to a new bowl. Begin to shred your beef.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over a medium high heat fire (about 350F) for direct cooking. Add some oil and clarified butter to the skillet 2 minutes before cooking.
- Lay out a piece of bread and cover with a handful of shredded cheese, top with a handful of shredded beef then add some more shredded cheese and another slice of bread. Add the grilled cheese to the skillet and toast the bread for 45-60 seconds a side until golden brown. Flip and toast the other side, then pull off and repeat for the rest of the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Add your consomme to a bowl and top with chopped red onions and cilantro. Slice your Birria Grilled Cheese and serve with the consomme. Enjoy!
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 5335mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1500IU | Vitamin C: 102mg | Calcium: 749mg | Iron: 4mg