Here’s our slimming friendly version of Crispy Chilli Beef! A delicious fakeaway even if you are calorie counting or following a diet like Weight Watchers.
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 25 mins
- Total Time 35 mins
- 500 g lean rump steak cut into thin strips
- 1 egg beaten
- 1.5 tbsp self raising flour
- 6 tbsp soy sauce, preferably dark
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1.5 cm piece ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 5 spring onions chopped
- 1 lime juice only
- 1 carrot cut into thin strips
- 2 good pinches chilli flakes or 1/2 chopped red chilli
- 2 drops Franks Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce or another hot/chilli sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 Oxo cube made up with 100ml boiling water
- low calorie cooking spray
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190-200°C.
- Season the strips of beef, then dip each one into the beaten egg, then quickly drag it through the flour to give a light coating.
- Place each piece of coated beef on a baking tray sprayed with a fair bit of low calorie cooking
- spray, then give the strips a spray too. You could even put it on a piece of baking parchment to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the beef is crispy. You can turn it over towards the end if needed.
- While the beef is cooking, spray a wok with some low calorie cooking spray. Then over a medium/hot heat, fry the peppers, carrots, onion, spring onion, chilli flakes, garlic and ginger.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the lime juice, granulated sweetener, soy sauce, rice vinegar and honey.
- Stir, then add a couple of drops of Franks sauce and the 100ml of beef stock.
- Allow to cook for a minute and then add the cooked beef strips.
- Stir well and serve with your choice of accompaniment.