- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 6-8 juniper berries
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 400 g (1 lb) sauerkraut, drained
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 500 g)
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the leek, carrot and parsnip and continue to cook for 8-10 minutes until the veggies soften.
- Stir in the garlic, caraway seeds, marjoram, allspice, juniper berries and bay leaves and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sauerkraut and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Next, add a ladle of veggie stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the rest of the stock and simmer on a low heat for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Season to taste and serve with rye bread or your favourite crusty bread.