A healthier twist on a classic comfort dish!
For the Filling:
- 500 g of cabbage, finely chopped
- 100 g of onions, finely chopped
- 100 g of carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth (instead of oil)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 400 g of cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
For the Batter:
- 1 cup (240 ml) of unsweetened plant-based milk (e.g., almond, soy, or oat)
- 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup (120 g) of unsweetened vegan yogurt (instead of sour cream)
- 1 cup (120 g) of whole wheat flour (for added fiber)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- In a large skillet, sauté the cabbage, onions, and carrots in vegetable broth over medium heat until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked chickpeas to the vegetable mixture, stirring until well combined. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together plant-based milk, ground flaxseed, salt, vegan yogurt, whole wheat flour, and baking powder to make the batter.
- Preheat your oven to the desired temperature for baking pies.
- In a baking dish, spread the cabbage and chickpea mixture evenly.
- Pour the batter over the vegetable and chickpea layer, ensuring it covers the entire surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the filling is heated through.
- Allow it to cool slightly before serving.
Enjoy your delicious and lightened-up Cabbage and Chickpea Pie! Keep in mind that Smart Points may vary based on the specific ingredients used.