- 1 pound Italian sausage or ground beef
- ¼ onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- ⅓ cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large saucepan cook the sausage, garlic, onion, and pepper until tender. Add tomato sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Scoop out the gills of the mushrooms and wash with cold water. Dry thoroughly and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place mushrooms in the air fryer basket and cook cap side up for 5 minutes.
- Once done flip mushrooms over and evenly fill with the sausage filling.
- Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, cook for 8-10 minutes or until mushroom is cooked and cheese is melted.
- Mushrooms get soggy so clean them with a spritz of water, and dry with a paper towel, or brush with a damp paper towel.
- Gills and stems can be used in the sauce for extra flavor.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Set the air fryer at 400°F and reheat for 4 minutes.