For the Chicken Stew:
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (optional)
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In the slow cooker, combine the chicken, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, mix in the peas and corn if you’re using them.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt for the dumplings.
- In another bowl, combine the milk and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling batter onto the hot stew. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through. Avoid opening the lid too often during this time.
- Gently stir the dumplings into the stew, being careful not to break them apart.
- Taste the stew and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the slow cooker chicken and dumplings hot, and enjoy!