- 1 cup chopped dried apricots (unsweetened, if possible)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups glace cherries, roughly chopped (I used one cup red and one cup green)
- 1 cup mixed peel
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brandy or orange juice (for soaking, optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped dried apricots and walnuts. Toss them with a little flour to coat (this helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, orange juice, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with granulated sugar or sugar substitute until well combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients (applesauce mixture) with the beaten eggs and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped apricots and walnuts cherries, peel
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Optional: While the cake is still warm, you can brush the top with brandy or orange juice for added flavor.
- Allow the fruitcake to cool completely before slicing.
WW Points per Serving
The points For a typical serving size (1/12 of the loaf), it’s 4WW points,