AMAZING VEGAN SPANAKOPITA
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked in water 4-8 hours, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup unflavored and unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 24 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 24 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- ½ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- Place the cashews, milk, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper into a large blender or the bowl of a food processor fitted with an s-blade. Blend until relatively smooth.
- Add the spinach, onion, scallions, dill and oregano to the food processor. Pulse until well mixed.
- Taste-test the mixture and adjust any seasonings to your liking.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly oil the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Arrange a sheet of phyllo pastry in the bottom of the pan, then carefully brush a layer of olive oil on top.
- Arrange a second sheet of phyllo on top of the first, gently working out any bubbles between the two. Brush the second sheet with olive oil.
- Repeat until you’ve layered 8 sheets, finishing with a phyllo sheet (don’t brush the top of the last one with oil).
- Evenly spread half of the spinach mixture on top of the last phyllo sheet, smoothing out the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Arrange 8 more phyllo sheets on top of the spinach filling in the same manner, then top with the other half of the spinach filling.
- Repeat the layering arrangement using the last 8 phyllo sheets. Brush the top sheet with olive oil.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, cut into 8 square and serve.
Amazing Vegan Spanakopita
Amount Per Serving (1 square (⅛ of recipe))
Calories 464Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5.1g26%