Homemade air fryer egg rolls are crispy on the outside, with a meaty, veggie-packed filling on the inside. A lighter way to enjoy egg rolls!
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pound 90% or 93% lean ground chicken or turkey to make vegetarian, swap crumbled extra-firm tofu; press it dry first
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, grapeseed oil, or similar neutrally flavored high-temperature cooking oil (olive oil will smoke, so I suggest one of these other oils instead)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 8-ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 18-20 6-inch square egg roll or spring roll wrappers, about 1 1-pound pack
- Sweet chili sauce optional for serving
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, ginger, and cornstarch with a fork. Add the chicken, breaking apart the meat and stirring to coat with the sauce. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- While you wait, chop the mushrooms super small and mince the garlic.
- Heat a wok or large, deep sauté pan over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken and cook, breaking the meat into small bits, until it’s no longer pink and fully cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the coleslaw, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Stir-fry until the coleslaw softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil and red pepper flakes (if using), then remove from the heat and let cool. Taste and adjust the seasoning as you like.
- Assemble the egg rolls: On a work surface, position an egg roll wrapper so that it’s arranged like a diamond with a corner pointing down towards you. Mound 3 tablespoons of the filling in the middle, shaping it like a torpedo so it runs horizontally across the center. Fold the right and left points of the diamond towards the middle over the filling, then roll up the egg roll away from you, as if you were rolling a mini burrito; see your package for more rolling tips. Brush the edges of the wrapper with water to seal, then press gently to adhere. If you have all of the wrappers out on your counter in a stack, to keep them from drying out placed a damp paper towel on top. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers.
- To air fry, preheat your air fryer to 390°F. Coat the basket with nonstick spray, then arrange the first batch of egg rolls in a single layer in the basket, placing them seam-side down. Mist the top with more nonstick spray. Make sure the eggs rolls are not touching one another.
- Air fry egg rolls for 9 to 11 minutes, flipping them over halfway through. Repeat with remaining batches (if you’d like to keep the egg rolls warm between batches, place them on a baking sheet in a 225°F oven). Let cool a few minutes, then enjoy hot with sweet chili sauce as desired.