Cook: 45minutes mins
Total: 1hour hr 15minutes mins
This is a showstopper of a pie! This vegan purple sweet potato pie has a natural, bright purple color, a sweet and creamy filling, and is surrounded by a coconut almond crust.
▢1 cup almond meal
▢1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
▢¼ cup melted coconut oil (plus more for the pan)
▢¼ cup maple syrup
▢½ teaspoon baking soda
▢½ teaspoon sea salt
▢2 lb purple yams (peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 4 cups worth))
▢¾ cup canned coconut milk (not light!)
▢½ cup maple syrup (see notes)
▢2 tablespoons tapioca starch
▢1 tablespoon lime juice
▢2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
▢1 teaspoon sea salt
▢1 teaspoon ground ginger
▢½ teaspoon allspice
▢¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (neither amounts are very spicy but the ½ teaspoon does stand out more)
▢¼ teaspoon ground cloves
▢Coconut whipped cream (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a large bowl then transfer them to the prepared pie pan. Wet your hands lightly to prevent the crust from sticking to them then press the crust into the pan, making sure it is even on the sides and bottom.1 cup almond meal, 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, ¼ cup melted coconut oil, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the crust will be puffed up and light golden brown. Use the back of a spoon to gently push the crust down so there is room for the filling.
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add the purple yams and steam for 10 minutes, or until the yams can be pierced with a fork. Drain the yams then put them in a high-powered blender or food processor.2 lb purple yams
- Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients and blend on high until everything is smooth and creamy.¾ cup canned coconut milk, ½ cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon allspice, ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pour the pie filling into the baked pie shell and smooth out the top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the pie has set but still has a little jiggle in the middle. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving it.