Vegan Black Bean nachos
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (preferably corn chips)
- 1 can (15 oz) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (such as vegan cheddar or pepper jack)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos (optional, adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Vegan Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour if you don’t have a high-powered blender)
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond, soy, or oat milk)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the vegan cheese sauce. Blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- In an oven-safe dish or a baking sheet, arrange a layer of tortilla chips.
- Drizzle some of the vegan cheese sauce over the chips, making sure to coat them evenly.
- Add half of the black beans on top of the chips and cheese.
- Sprinkle some diced tomatoes, red onion, black olives, and jalapenos (if using) over the beans.
- Add another layer of chips, cheese sauce, black beans, and toppings.
- Continue layering until you’ve used up all the ingredients or reached your desired amount.
- Finish off with a final layer of chips and cheese sauce.
- Place the nachos in the preheated oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the nachos are baking, dice the avocado and prepare the cilantro.
- Once the nachos are done, remove them from the oven and top with diced avocado and chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side for extra tang and freshness.