A delicious syn free Slimming World friendly chicken Fakeaway recipe, that tastes just as good as the real thing!
I absolutely love Greek food, especially a gyros. A gyro or gyros is a Greek dish made from meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, kind if like a Greek kebab.
It is usually served in a delicious Greek wrap with salad, tzatziki and some chips. I love ordering this from my local Greek takeaway, but making my own is both healthier and cheaper than the real thing.
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 4/6 hrs (slow cooker) 1 hour (oven)
- Marinade Time 1 hour
For the Chicken Mix:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Juice of a lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 2-4 teaspoons of pre-made Greek Seasoning (or a tsp sage, salt and pepper)
- 1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
- Kebab sticks
You also need:
- 2 large tbsp of fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1 small cucumber- chopped into small cubes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Feta cheese (syn or use 30g as a HEa)
- Pita bread or round flat naan (add syns or calories)
- Mix together the chicken ingredients and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Use a potato and cut the side of one of the long edges off, so it sits flat. Stick in 3 kebab sticks, in a triangle shape.
- I cooked mine in the slow cooker, so trimmed them down to make sure they weren’t higher than the lid. You could also cook this in the oven. To cook in the oven, stand upright and cook for 1 hour. Check food is fully cooked.
- I made one of the sticks a little longer, so I could lean it against the top of the slow cooker, so it slanted to the side. I moved half way through cooking.
- Use the 3 kebab sticks to build up the kebab. Thread each marinated chicken mini fillet onto the skewers. Press down firmly to get the kebab shape.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Once the chicken in cooked, cut it up from the sticks.
- Mix all the of the ingredients together for the Tzatziki.
- Pile the chicken and veg high on your pita bread, top with Tzatziki and enjoy!