- Cooked Chicken Breast: Shredded, about 2 cups (skinless, boneless)
- Enchilada Sauce: Look for a low-sodium or homemade option, around 1 ½ cups.
- Corn Tortillas: 8 small-sized corn tortillas (6-inch)
- Black Beans: 1 can (drained and rinsed)
- Bell Peppers: Chopped, 1 cup (use a mix of colors for variety)
- Onion: Chopped, 1 medium-sized onion
- Mexican Blend Cheese: Reduced-fat, shredded, around 1 cup
- Optional toppings: Chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, non-fat Greek yogurt or light sour cream (points may vary for toppings)
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a baking dish (9×13 inches).
- Prepare Filling: In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the chopped onions and bell peppers until they soften. Add shredded chicken, black beans, and about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
- Assemble Layers: Spread a small amount of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Layer 4 tortillas over the sauce, slightly overlapping them. Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle a portion of shredded cheese over the chicken.
- Repeat Layers: Place another layer of 4 tortillas, the remaining chicken mixture, and top with the rest of the enchilada sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake: Cover the dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve: Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with optional toppings like chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, or a dollop of non-fat Greek yogurt….