SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Pork Chops:
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge each pork chop in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Brown the Pork Chops:
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork chops and brown them for about 3-4 minutes on each side until they’re nicely browned. Remove the pork chops from the skillet and set them aside.
- Sauté the Onions:
- In the same skillet, add the sliced onions. Sauté them until they become soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Create the Gravy:
- Sprinkle any remaining seasoned flour mixture over the sautéed onions. Stir well to combine and cook for another minute or so.
- Gradually pour in the beef or chicken broth while stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the gravy thickens.
- Return the Pork Chops:
- Place the browned pork chops back into the skillet, covering them with the gravy.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let the pork chops simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or until they are cooked through. The internal temperature should reach at least 145°F (63°C).
- Add Milk:
- Stir in the milk to create a creamy sauce. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve the smothered pork chops with the gravy and a garnish of fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
This dish is often served with mashed potatoes, rice, or your choice of sides. It’s a comforting and hearty meal that’s perfect for a family dinner. Enjoy your Smothered Pork Chops!