• 3/4 cup good quality dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
• 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 cup cake flour
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (use a sifter to dust the finished cakes)
• Vanilla ice cream (optional, for garnish)
• Chocolate syrup (optional, for drizzle garnish)
● Begin this decadent journey by adding the dark chocolate chips to a small heat-safe bowl.
● Heat the whole milk in a small microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Carefully pour the heated milk over the chocolate and let it sit for a few seconds. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Place the melted chocolate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to cool.
● Sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
● Whisk in the cake flour and kosher salt, creating a magical mixture of dry ingredients.
● Add the whole milk, vegetable oil, and pure vanilla extract. Gently fold the ingredients together until well combined, forming a luscious chocolate cake batter.
● Now, remove the cooled chocolate and cream mixture from the refrigerator. Use a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop out the chocolate. Prepare for the magical moment!
● Coat each cup of an Appe pan with vegetable oil, just a touch of magic is all it takes. Heat the pan over medium-low heat, creating the perfect atmosphere for your lava cakes.
● Fill each individual cake “cup” about two-thirds full, using approximately 1 tablespoon of the prepared chocolate cake batter.
● Add a magical touch to each cake by placing 2/3 teaspoon of the chilled dark chocolate mixture in the center. Spoon just enough cake batter to cover the top of the chocolate center, like a magical cloak.
● Cover the pan with the lid and cook the mini cakes for 5-7 minutes, letting the magic happen. Carefully use a spoon or a butter knife to turn the mini cakes over and replace the lid. Cook for 1 more minute, allowing the lava to flow within the cakes.
Carefully remove the cakes from the pan and place them on a serving plate. Witness the magic of the molten center!
Dust the Lava Cakes with powdered sugar.