Curry Lentil Soup
1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, diced (any color you prefer)
2 carrots, diced
2 tablespoons curry powder (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste, for spiciness)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk Salt and pepper to taste Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional) Lime wedges for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne pepper to the pot. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices. Cook for an additional 2 minutes to toast the spices, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes (with juice), and rinsed lentils. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and let the soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes to heat through and combine flavors. If the soup is too thick for your liking, you can add more vegetable broth or water to reach your desired consistency.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the spice level by adding more cayenne pepper if desired.
- Serve the vegan curry lentil soup hot, garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley, and lime wedges for an extra burst of flavor. You can also serve it with crusty bread or over cooked rice if you prefer.